So I recently became part of this international mix-tape collective courtesy of Winnie. Sometimes we just exchange mixes based on what we feel like. Sometimes the monthly mix is themed. This month is “Guilty Pleasures.” My mix as it stands now is as follow:
1) Feed My Frankenstein – Alice Cooper: This track from the Wayne’s World soundtrack breaks my thematic organziation but it does start the mix off with a bang.
2) Ignition (Remix) – R. Kelly: I loved this song when it came out in my time in Louisiana. I have a particular memory of hanging out in Eric’s yard, perhaps sipping on a concoction from Snoop Dog Daiquiri and singing this song over and over and over.
3) Iced Down Medallions – Royal Flush: On our way down to Myrtle Beach senior year, Mike, Luke, Elyssa, and I must have listened to this about a hundred times.
4) Ho Down – Nappy Roots – Kari introduced Priam, Monica, and me to this song on one of our trips down to New Orleans.
5) Eye Wish I Was a Tiger – The Flying Dewaele Brothers: This is a bootleg remix I discovered after reading about the FD brothers in the New York Times senior year of college. It’s a mash-up of Ski Lo’s I Wish I Was a Little Bit Taller, and Survivor’s Eye of the Tiger.
6) Hollaback Girl – Gwen Stefani: I will never forget my camper, Brendan, begging me to play this on van rides with the promise that he knew where to turn the volume down for the “bad words.”
7) Don’t Leave Me This Way – Thelma Houston: I fell in love with this song from the Summer of Sam Soundtrack. The hook when she goes “Oh! Baby!” is infectious!
8) Friend Like Me – This is my favorite song from Aladin. But really, there were so many to choose from.
9) Hakuna Matata – This track from the Lion King would get all the campers singing along. They were 14.
10) Wig in a Box – So I listen to the soundtrack from Hedwig. So what?
11) Gin and Juice – The Gourds: When this track was circulating the file sharing services sophomore year of college the attribution was to Phish. Not so.
12) Papa Loved Mama – Garth Brooks: I shouldn’t feel guilty for loving Garth because he’s great. But I do. Calling Baton Rouge, Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old) could have also appeared here.
13) Queen of My Double Wide Trailer – Sammy Kershaw: Brilliance.
14) I Don’t Even Know Your Name – Alan Jackson: I came on to this AJ song after I came back from the South. It’s stupid but funny.
15) You Ain’t Much Fun – Tobey Keith: It finishes, “since I quit drinkin'” One of his early hits I believe.
16) Tight Fittin’ Jeans – Conway Twitty: This is hysterical.
17) Me Neither – Brad Paisley: Typical BP word play on picking up a woman who is definitely not interested.
18) To Be With You – Mr. Big. All pleasure. No Guilt
19) Brown Eyed Girl – Me First and the Gimme Gimmes – Punk cover. Good stuff.
20) More Than Words – Extreme. Did the 90’s give us nothing else?